Jan 15, 2010

DAYS 4 and 5

WEDNESDAY - DAY 4

We are out of fruit entirely. I am not counting the pureed avocado or apples I made for my 5 month old, nor the applesauce hanging inside the refrigerator door. There is no fruit, and my apple eater isn't happy about that. I think her sweet tooth was aching.

I want something sweet as well, but the only things I can find are 3 out of a 4-pack of pudding cups, chocolate morsels and graham crackers. Hmm...

I pull out a bag of frozen peas. They are in a giant frosty lump. I believe these must have been used several times as an ice pack and they smell a little old, but it's food. Along with this I made dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets and some packaged spinach-flavored noodles. Um, yum? Probably a kid's dream meal? Well, maybe some kid, but none of mine.

Junior Mr. Wonderful (17) prays over our food asking God to please let us enjoy it and feel full. We start eating, but everyone wants barbecue sauce. Guess what we are almost out of? There was just a little in the bottom of the bottle, so I add water. My oldest daughter (15) just about freaks - this is UNACCEPTABLE! She is making faces and whining about everything on her plate as the male teen tells her that he has learned a LONG time ago not to say negative things about the food that has been cooked for him. (Who is this kid?) They continue their conversation by arguing over barbecue sauce, while the 4 year old eats, looking back and forth at her older siblings, probably pretending everything on her plate is made of apples.

And what about the pudding, chocolate morsels and graham crackers? Well, Mr. W. made me promise not to tell the entire recipe because he wants me to publish it some day. But the apple thief and I prepared them together with lots of love and she named the dessert "Dizzle Wizzles". Yep, they were yummy and the highlight of the meal.

No mention of going to the store! Hubby keeps telling me he is proud of me, so there is no WAY I am backing down now!

THURSDAY - DAY 5

Not really too much to say about this day. I was so excited that I made it so far into the week, that I hadn't thought much about what to make. So, I just start grabbing whatever I can find, literally, and threw it together.

I REALLY need to start labeling things before I store them in the freezer. I thought I pulled out pork chops. It ended up being chicken. I cooked 3 chicken thighs in a can of chicken noodle soup (add one can of water). Cut up the chicken, put in casserole dish along with the liquid. Yes, including the noodles in the soup. I had some instant rice - about 2 cups - left in the box. Dump that in. OK, can of peas, can of corn, can of cream of chicken soup (add another can of water), about a cup of leftover shredded cheddar. Mix it all up, top with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Yep, that will do.

IT WAS GREAT!

But there is a little girl in the house wondering when there will be more apples in the refrigerator. And, Mr. W. is the devil trying to tempt me. We are out of carrots and I am addicted to eating the crunchy sticks every night before bed. He comments that he should go to the store for some.

Get behind me, Satan! I'm not breaking!

3 comments:

dlkelly said...

I am so impressed! Keep up the good work and please continue to share your story! :-)

Allison said...

Found you through the NPRA loop, and love reading your chronicles. What a great lesson for the kids as well, especially on not taking anything for granted.

As for cooking with what's on hand, have you tried http://www.supercook.com/ for recipes? Plug in your ingredients and out comes possible recipes.
http://www.recipezaar.com/ has a feature where you can search by ingredients. (Can you tell I've been down this road before?)

Melissa McFurniture said...

Thank you both!

I got slightly creative with what I had, but I should have checked out those websites for better ideas. I sure will in the future!