Jan 17, 2010

DAY 7 - Saturday

IF I HAD SPAGHETTI, I COULD MAKE SPAGHETTI

I wasn't going to cook today. The house feels empty with only four of us here, and only three of us can eat this stuff, anyway. We have leftovers we really should be eating. But my son asked me what I was making for supper. He agreed to eat it as long as I didn't make something weird. (Why would I do that?)

One of my family's favorite meals is a shepherd's pie. It contains ground beef, onion, green beans, tomato soup and cheddar cheese, topped with mashed potatoes. There are some leftover mashers from earlier in the week and I surprisingly have the rest of the ingredients to throw this together. Alright, okay, uh-huh, woohoo!


The preschooler would only eat one bite of it. Apparently it makes her "barf and throw up". (The two combined is worse than just one?) If I make a meal, the chillins' are required to at least try it. It took 10 minutes of drama to swallow that one bite, but she did it. :)

I was hoping to end this week with something spectacular. (It is illegal in my state for me to set off fireworks.) If I were more imaginative and less blah today, I probably could have done that. (No, not the fireworks). But I also need to tell myself that it doesn't really matter - I cooked every single night this week and only ate what was in my house!!
I REACHED MY GOAL!!!
HOW ABOUT NEXT WEEK?

It was SO hard for me not to buy groceries this past week. You just don't know!! Our local grocery store had awesome BOGO deals and 10/$10's. I had coupons, too! Wahh!! It would have been a great week to save money on groceries. I couldn't have reached my goal if I gave in though, huh? :)

It is now Sunday evening. We ate leftovers all day, as you can imagine. :)

I sent my awesome husband to the store after 9 whole days of no groceries! He was so happy with what was accomplished this week that he and I decided to keep our grocery bill under $2 per person for the next 7 days! (Excluding the family member who has no teeth.)


We could probably spend that amount just on fresh fruits and vegetables. :)



Oh, and that little girl that lives in our house - she went along. I can imagine her wanting to dive into the apples like a toddler in a ball pit...




And then...

Hubby spent $94 at the store. WHAT?? But he bought enough groceries to last us for at least 2 weeks! If we don't run out of milk or apples (and I am not going to supplement my kids with calcium and vitamin c if we run out...), then this means we will have spent just a little over $30 a week for 3 weeks worth of delicious sustenance! (or $.90 a day per person (not including baby) after doing the math!) This is even more impressive to me since 2 of those people are HUNGRY TEENAGERS!! :)

Gonna keep going, we can do this!

Thanks so much to all of you who followed along with me this week, cheered me on, sent emails, left comments and posts and gave me more ideas. You have all been incredible supporters!

IT'S NOT OVER...

I will be posting a few things I have learned this week, some recipes and websites, so stay tuned!

No comments: